Sunday, 17 April 2016

JSB 2016 - Hannah's perspective

This past weekend my class hosted the Junior-Senior Banquet. We have spent months planing the event, thus this past Friday night was quite nerve-racking. The theme of the night was a medievel theme, which divided everyone who attended into clans.

On Friday, the day of the banquet, my class left the school at 7:50 in the morning to head to the venue. We spent the morning setting up all the decorations that we worked hard on, and we spent the afternoon doing a dress rehearsal. I spent most of the morning helping to screw supports into the flats my committee had painted.

The flats we painted were large scenery flats that we painted to look like a stone wall. We set up some of the flats along the conference room wall to display the clan banners. Some of the other scenery flats we painted were used to build a tower which was more than 3 meters tall. It took a really long time to build and paint the flats which we have been doing on Saturdays since January.

Kate in her armour, and me at my table, with the tower and walls behind me
Me giving my tribute to a Senior
Then, for the afternoon, since I was not involved with entertainment, I sat in my seat and watched the dress rehearsal. As the morning went on I got more and more excited for the night ahead. Watching my classmates perform the entertainment assured me that the night would go well.

Finally, when our class president and sponsors had determined that we had practiced enough we left the hotel. But since the time setting up at the hotel took most of my day, and because my friends and I spent part of the afternoon trying to find one of the important props, I ended up only having about one and a half hours to get ready.

Luckily I was able to get ready in time and met up with my date at 5:00. I was really excited for the night to come, and slightly apprehensive. "Would everything go well?" I asked myself. Soon enough, I witnessed the skits and was once again impressed by my classmates' acting and entertaining skills.
Me with my date in his costume
The food at the venue was very good. The entertainment was enjoyable, and I gave my tribute (a speech which honors a Senior) nicely. After the night ended, my class had to disassemble everything and truck all the stuff back to school. So I pitched in to help unscrew all the flats which made up the tower and the stone walls. I was very tired by the time I got home. When I was finally home and in bed, it was about 1:30. I was exhausted (as I'm writing this the next day I am still absolutely exhausted) but with that exhaustion I feel really proud of the work that I and my classmates put in to create a wonderful night at a medieval festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment