Sunday, 7 August 2016

The Story of Kimchi, by Hannah

This is Kimchi
Kimchi is the most important food in Korea. Over and over again our guides told us that a meal in Korea is not complete without kimchi as a side dish or a main dish.

We had a wonderful opportunity to make this amazing dish but that is described in another blog. What I learned from this dish is not just how to make it but also about its aftermath.

After we went to the cooking class and made kimchi we were given our six individual cabbage kimchi containers to cart back to our rented suite. Kimchi, you see, is almost never eaten right away. It is a fermented food so we were supposed to take this meal home and leave it out for 24 hours then ferment it in the fridge for as long as we wanted to.

The only problem is that Korean families usually have two fridges—one for kimchi and one for all other foods. The reason for this, our cooking teacher said, was because kimchi requires a completely different temperature than other foods. I think our cooking teacher lied to us because the only reason, in my opinion, that Korean families have a separate fridge is because kimchi, after fermenting for a while, smells very, very strong.

We especially discovered this after the kimchi had to be carted all the way from Seoul, Korea to Cebu, Philippines, and later into Manila. I did not want to be in the same room as that kimchi!

Anyways, out of our six boxes, two (one was mine) were given away to our host in Korea, one was eaten about 24 hours after the cooking class mostly by my dad, and three made it all the way back to Penang. I am sorry for anyone on our flight that could smell the kimchi. (I think I could smell it.)

Luckily, it wasn't all bad. Aimee turned one of the kimchis that made it back to Penang into delicious kimchi pancakes by making a simple pancake mix then adding Dad's kimchi in. I really enjoyed the pancakes; they were amazing. And one of the kimchis—and its smell—lives on in our fridge. Maybe we'll come back to it in three years, because I heard three year kimchi is really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment