Looking back on that second day I (Garth) felt like a stunned deer in headlights. Everything was happening around me but I was in total shock with the new environment. There is still a bit of shock and uncertainty when we face new situations in Penang, but I feel that I went through two culture shocks - adjusting to a new country and adjusting to a new school. We are slowly weaning our way off the use of air conditioners, with only one on at night (down from 4 when we first came here).
It is nice to have someone (Marianna) come by twice a week to help clean the house.
Listening is still important, trying to understand the different dialects and slang expressions.
We are developing routines with shopping and meals. We are quite used to going to Tesco (similar to Superstore) once a week for groceries. We usually have supper in the food court, and then go up the escalator and do our shopping.
We own a van, but it only has a 1.3 liter engine, so we have to be very gentle with the van. MPV or passenger vans are a lot more expensive in Malayisa than they are in Canada. Driving here is crazy but we are starting to take up some of their habits. I used to be very reluctant to go through a red light, like in Canada. Now I am less reluctant and probably go through a red light about once a week.
No comments:
Post a Comment