| These ladies were digging into their food after the sun went down. They are workers in this little shop, eating on the floor behind the counter |
Sunday, 22 February 2015
Fasting, by Aimee
In the month of Ramadan (around July) all followers of Islam have to fast every day. The Muslims fast because it says so in the Quran so as to not be overcome by desires besides their god. Muslims have to try and stop their greed for food. Everyone from age two and older have to fast. When the sun goes down they can start eating. We noticed when we were in a restraunt that many people came before the sunset and they would sit there with their food already ordered and on the table until the sun went down. They would know when the sun went down because the restaurant would play some Arabic music. Then the people would just dig into their food and some would eat or snack all the way until sunrise or they would wake up before the sunrise and eat a lot then. I thought this would be quite easy because they just fill up at night and before sunrise and go without food through the day. So when I got back to Penang me and my sister tried it. I did not eat the night before though. I went through the day and in the morning I was not that hungry. But as soon as the afternoon came I began to get more and more hungry. Finally at 5:00 I could not take it any more so I ate dinner. I did not want to fast any more because it is extremely hard. My sister, Hannah, was able to fast for two days but then stopped.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment