Friday, 7 September 2012

One Rolex Watch = Four Starbucks Coffees

     Last week, I(Garth) bought my first Starbucks coffee in Malaysia. This was my second Starbucks Coffee, because our host bought one for me within a few days after we arrived. I was shocked at the price for a large Starbucks coffee. It is even more expensive than in North America. I paid about 10 RM (Malaysian money), which would equal about $3.30 Canadian for a large coffee. (For non-Starbucks drinkers, an equivalent coffee in Abbotsford would cost about $2.30.)  To buy coffee anywhere else around here would cost at most 3 RM (about a $1.00). The coffee at Starbucks tastes the same as in North America.



Yesterday (Friday, September 7th), we went to Batu Ferrenghi for supper. It is the tourist area of Penang with a lot of hotels and some more tourist-y things to do. We decided to go through the night market which is like open air shopping along the sidewalk. One thing I have always wanted to buy was a "Rolex" at the night market - I am sure they are the real thing :). I think the orginal asking price was about 135 RM (about $45), but I was able to talk him down to 40 RM (about $13). I was glad it was still working this morning when I woke up and had the correct date on it.


This is a similar image to what the watch looks like. The date is not magnified on my watch.

1 comment:

  1. What a beuatiful timepiece, Garth. And an amazing story about how well you did at getting his price down. Good thing he doesn't know that the same watch would be several months wages here.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete