Saturday, 15 March 2014

Top Floor of our House

I thought I would go a little "fluffy" and post some pictures of our house over the next few weeks.  A couple of people have asked about what our home looks like so this week and some of the weeks following I will show it in pictures.  The school rents our townhouse for 2,000 ringgit (divide by 3 to get the Canadian dollar equivalent) and then they take the rent off our paycheck each month.  Our townhouse has three floors, with the master bedroom and the guest bedroom on the top floor, each with their own ensuite bathroom.  There are 36 steps to climb from the bottom floor to our bedroom.  If you go from the bottom floor to the top at one time I still feel it in my legs although I am more used to it than when we first moved in.

I really like our bedroom because it is so big - the biggest we have ever had - and it has very high ceilings (12 feet?).  Also, most of the time it is "safe" from cockroaches, although that is changing; we are finding small ones since the last 6 months or so and an occasional big one.  As I enter now I stop in the doorway and switch on the light and scope out if I see anything moving.  Then I walk in.  I try not to think about that too much.  I just can't talk myself out of being scared of cockroaches.
  
Master bedroom
This is the view with my back to our bed looking toward the ensuite.  Two of our three wardrobes are on the right.  On the left is my "relational contract" that we had to sign for Dalat (to do with relationships and spiritual growth) that I have put on the wall.  There are also some verses and quotes that I like.
Ensuite in the master bedroom
Elizabeth by the entrance to the master bedroom.  She is standing by my favourite piece of furniture in the house, not the fan (although at night I sure couldn't live without it) but the stool - kind of an Asian look to it with a curved seat (you can't really see that part)
The mark on our bedroom floor that looks like a cockroach
This is the view (with Kate in the background) from the top floor down to the midway landing before 9 more steps to the middle floor
All floors in our house are either wood or tile.  We have no carpet and I like that.

We don't have any closets in this house, only wardrobes.  My impression is that most homes here don't have closets, though some do.

If we want to have hot or warm water in the bathroom we have to turn on the electricity for that.  It only works for the shower and bathtub though.  It takes about 15 - 20 minutes for the shower or bath water to heat up.  We are fortunate in our home that we have a bathtub; most homes don't have one.  It is always only cold water that comes out of any of the sinks in the house.

This is the view out of our bedroom window.


The roadway on the left is the direction we go when we walk the short way to church (when it is rainy we have to walk the long way where there is more cement).  Anyone want to move in across the street from us?  It is for rent
This is the view out the guest bedroom window
Guest bedroom


Ensuite in the guest bedroom (there is a shower behind the door).  It is pretty small; you have to stand between the counter and the toilet to shut the door

No comments:

Post a Comment