Sunday, 16 August 2015

First Week of School, by Hannah


The first day of school (my mom used this for
her students but she took off the "2" for my
picture)
This past Wednesday, I went back to school.  After two months of vacation, most of which I was not hanging out with friends, I was a bit happy to be back.  I was happy to see my friends.  And then . . . I got tons of homework.

I am going into my Junior year so my workload is stepped up.  I am taking Advanced Placement Language and Composition which is a college-level writing course.  I have to give a book talk in front of my class about a book I read over the summer (the teacher gave us a book list to choose from).  Though this is not my first A.P. class, I am somewhat frightened about what this course involves, partly because I was not in the honors tract before this year where other students have been, which is an advantage. I am also taking an online course (Canadian History), the first online course I have ever taken.

In addition, my Grade 11 class is beginning to start a year of fundraising for different events we have to organize this coming year.  The junior class has to run a concession store, have different large fundraisers, and host large events for the Senior students.  I have enjoyed working in the store so far and being able to make bubble teas as well as sell candy.  The first event we have to plan as a class is in six weeks, so I had to spend this past Saturday working with my classmates to plan this event. I am especially involved in getting food for the event (that is the committee that I am on).
Finishing off a drink that I made

This year I am involved in band again after taking a year off.  As a band we will be travelling to Bangkok, Thailand in a month. When I was a freshman I traveled to Bangkok.  This was very enjoyable and I am looking forward to doing it again.  But this means that we all have to learn 5 or 6 different songs in a month, which will be very challenging.

Tentatively, I will be involved in soccer this year too.  I have tryouts this coming week for the varsity team. This means that the week before Bangkok, if I make the team, I will be in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia's capital city) for the weekend playing against teams from the International School of K.L. It also means that I will be involved in a double season; the first part of the school year we will mostly play local teams, and then the second part of the season in about March we will travel to Guam to play teams from all over Asia.

Overall, though I have been getting a lot of work, I have enjoyed this first week of school.
Working in the store; our Junior class president is beside me

No comments:

Post a Comment