Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Shopping and Food, by Hannah

Shopping and Food                      

By Hannah

There are many interesting places to shop.  There are malls, markets, nights markets, Tesco (like an English Walmart), Cold Storage, Little India and neighbourhood food stalls.  Some places are meant for locals and others are meant for tourists.  But almost all of the places are fun and worthwhile to go to. (Some of them are very, very discusting.)


My favourite place to go to is Gurney Mall.  It has 11 stories and is in a Western Style.  It is huge and always very full of people with almost an entire floor for food stalls and restaurants.


The markets are very interesting to walk around.  We have one really close to our house so we go there to get fruit and sometimes chicken.  The chickens are always laying on tables still whole and it smells awful.  The fruit is very good.


Some night markets are meant for tourists and others have less tourists. The night market near our house is meant more for locals.  I prefer that because it is usually cheaper and better (sometimes spicer).  My favourite foods are Hokkien Mee (a dish made in Penang with noodles, egg, and pork), a Chienese pancake, and ice cream.  I can buy all this for $1.59 Canadian (5.00 Ringgit). I am not kidding. And it makes you feel so full!  There are also cute little watches or hair elestics or bracalets for very cheap.


Tesco and Cold Storage are mainly western grocery shopping that you can commenly find in malls.  Tesco has a food court on the bottom where you can get awesome food but it is still grocery shopping (which most people would not chose to do or have as a hobby).


Little India is a place in Georgetown that Indians go too.  It is like a market but it lines the streets.  You can get nice towels or dresses at some of the stalls.  Other stalls have great food.  Wandering around Little India is a great way to spend the day.


Local food stalls are awesome.  You can find them pretty much every where,  in markets and on pretty much every busy street.  The first time I tried food at a food stall it was Hokkien Mee.  I loved it.  I will never ever get sick of food stall food.  It is a big debate where to get food because there are so many places to get food.

Penang has great shopping but it is famous for its food.  I really like the food that I have tried.  Excuse me but I need to go work off the Hokkien Mee, hopefully I won't find a food stall along the way.


This is in Gurney Mall.

1 comment:

  1. Anna says: That is really very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss you!!!! Really Indians?

    ReplyDelete