Friday, 2 August 2013
The Importance of Rice - An Editorial, by Aimee
Vietnam is one of the worlds biggest rice producers. In the big cities, you would never guess how important rice is to the Vietnamese people. But as you drive deeper into the countryside you will find that the rice fields never end. Rice is Asia's staple meal. You can have fried rice, boiled rice, steamed rice, and much more. If you live like a local, rice pancakes are not to be forgotten. Each country seems to have its own take on this simple yet filling and delicious delicacy. And rice noodles are simply unforgettable. A commoner's life is completely centered around rice. First, they have a quick breakfast of, wouldn't you know, rice noodles. Then they go out and work in the rice fields. After a long morning in the rice fields, they have a delicious lunch of rice pancakes and have a nap. Their afternoon consists of working in the rice fields. After a very long day of rice, they eat rice or rice noodles for supper and go to bed. My opinion on this riceyness is that it is absolutely delightful. Rice is really healthy. In fact, our Vietnam tour guides would not stop saying "Vietnamese thin from rice; Western people very fat from burgers". (I hope nobody takes offence from that. If you do I can give you the contact number of our tour guide. Just kidding.) I can see their point because during my stay in Vietnam I noticed how small all the Vietnamese people were. I was really happy though because I finally felt an average height, maybe even a bit tall. Another point that I noticed was in Asia, being fat traditionally means being rich. This is starting to change because of the appearance of fast food places in Asia. The work for Asian locals is getting less physical because of heaps of opening industries. I don't mean to slam McDonalds but in Penang McDonalds has become a common chain of restaurants. And one cannot help but notice that there are more fat people in Penang. It really is too bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment