Tuesday, 13 October 2026

Turtle Beach by Aimee (June 19, 2014)

We have been to Perhentian two times.  It is called Turtle Beach even though there are no turtles in it, sadly.  

The first time we went there we went snorkeling.  It is fun to see all the fish.  We did not manage to see any sharks this time.  We heard from other people that they had seen two smallish sharks and one pretty big shark around 3 feet.  It was probably a Black Tip Reef Shark.  They are quite hard to spot.  I saw this big fish and it was eating a sea slug.  It was very interesting to watch.  Lots of fish would surround the big fish.  They were watching the big fish eating the sea slug.

We went snorkeling a bit further until we got to another beach around the bend.  I found lots of sea shells.  I could not bring any back to Turtle Beach though because they were too heavy.  When I got back, I went snorkeling out deep in the sea.  There I saw this pipe sticking out of the ocean floor.  It was interesting so I decided to dive to the pipe to get a closer look.  Unfortunately, when I dove, my ears popped and started aching so I could not go any deeper.  Overall, it was a fun first time at Turtle Beach.

Our second time we went to Turtle Beach it was even funner.  We started out snorkeling but there were these fish that kept stinging or biting us.  We could not go any further because they hurt so much.  So we went back.  On our way back I collected bamboo sticks because I wanted to make a raft.  I laid all the bamboo sticks side by side.  Than we scavenged the beach for rope.  We found some and weaved it inside and out on both sides and also in the middle.  After, we added a board for someone to sit on.  We put it in the ocean.  Sadly it could only hold up to 70 lb so only one person could try it at a time.  We found some sticks that looked a lot like paddles so we used them.  I rode around on the raft first.  It was really fun and a lot like a kayak.  Than my sisters rode around on it.  We found some buoys on the beach (everything seems to wash up on this beach!) and we put those under the raft.  They were used as kind of like floating devices.  They helped to keep our raft floating higher on the top of the water.  We rode it far out to sea and came back.  Sadly, we had to leave our raft behind because we were leaving.  It was really fun to make our raft and I hope to make one again!

In case you want to learn how to make a raft, here are some instructions.  Ours was not as complicated as this one:  http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Log-Raft

No comments:

Post a Comment