There did not seem to be anything wrong with it, ie not partly flattened by a vehicle, no "guts" coming out, etc. Of course I kept my distance but I was still curious. Watching it for a minute or two, it did not move and I came closer. It was very beautiful with a brilliant green colour and a flat, triangular head. I asked Hannah to put her foot by it to show the relative size while I took a picture. Later that night, after showing Garth the picture, he researched these interesting facts about it:
- it is nocturnal
- it can live off 3 meals per month
- it appears "sluggish" but strikes with ferocity when prey is nearby
- its venom can be fatal to people
- it is one of the most venomous snakes in the world
Whoops! Probably shouldn't have gotten so close to it, just in case it was in its "sluggish" phase.
If you remember a previous blog about when I was walking one night and a vehicle came along to warn me of a large snake close by me that I couldn't see (title of blog: After the Van Died, May 12, 2013), this green snake was about one half block away from where the other snake was.
Temple Viper (the site from which I took the above information; it also has more pictures)
This story reminds me of last Thursday when I was on duty in the cafeteria and a student came up to me and said there was a centipede on the floor by his chair. Casually, I said for him to go pick it up and put it outside. Another duty mom overhead me say this and leaned over to inform me that centipedes here are poisonous. I promptly rushed over to the boy with a napkin and enclosed the little creature in it, disposing of it in a much less kindly way.
No comments:
Post a Comment