I mentioned previously about having cockroaches in our house here in Malaysia, and today I came across some facts about them that I would like to share. So here we go, the top 10 things you may never have known about cockroaches:
10. Cockroaches are really ugly.
 |
| 9. Cockroaches are mainly nocturnal and will run away when exposed to light. |
 |
| 8. Cockroaches have been around since the time of dinosaurs. |
 |
| 7. Their cast off skin and waste products can trigger allergic reactions, asthma and other illnesses, especially in children. |
 |
| 6. Cockroaches are one of the hardiest insects on Earth. |
 |
| 5. Cockroaches can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes. |
 |
| 4. A cockroach can live almost a month without food and about 2 weeks without water. |
 |
| 3. Cockroaches crawl around dirty areas and track in lots of germs as they walk around homes and contaminate food by shedding their skin. |
 |
2. Some female cockroaches only mate once and stay pregnant for life.
|
 |
| and finally, 1. If a cockroach loses its head, it can still survive for one week. |
So sorry you have these guys! When we lived on Hamilton Ontario, we had them in our apartment, and it was awful! They weren't even the size you have there, but we also found them on our ceiling (you mentioned about them crawling in different places earlier ). Even when we eventually moved, I would still think I'd see one crawling around in places....it wasn't something my unconscious quickly forgot! Btw, they are also supposedly be able to survive an atomic bomb! But you probably read that too somewhere. Really, they are amazing creatures God created. Too bad we sometimes have to share our living spaces with them. Miss you! Keep up the great blogs!
ReplyDeleteAnna: We don't have any cockroaches because we always keep the house clean. I also ate a raw, live cockroach.
ReplyDeleteMom: I do not know where she gets the idea she ate one but I am sure she didn't!!! Also, in Japan a friend would "bomb" her house once a month because she had so many cockroaches. We were lucky and only saw a few in the year we lived there. What worked in Honduras was boric acid that we would pour along the walls of all the rooms in the house, but my mom still had one float to the top of the tea she made...did you really need to know that????
Alex: the cockroaches look weird.